The North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center chose LCI, and therefore Lee County, to receive funding to provide Basic Manufacturing Skills Training to 60 young adults over an 18 month period.
During 2012-2014, sixty young adults, ages 18–30, which have some barrier to employment, received the following:
- 120 hours of manufacturing skills coursework, including classroom instruction and industry tours.
- 32 hours of Career Readiness and Pathways classroom instruction
- 16 hours of social media instruction
- 4 hours of interview instruction
- Job placement and/or paid work experience
- Case management
What does this mean for Lee County? A more prepared workforce for the 2nd largest employer group in Lee County –- manufacturing!